Sunday 8 February 2015

My Family Letters from Internees in Germany in WW2

Hello

My name is Mary Whittington and these are letters and Red Cross Telegrams to and from my family; some of whom were interned in Germany in WW2 during the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands, some of the replies from those left on the Channel Islands and some from English relatives.  This triangle of information and often mundane day to day letter writing has fascinated me, ever since I found the letters whilst clearing up my deceased Grandfathers house.

I will be putting them on-line on this blog so that they become part of the narrative about the war years on Jersey and they are not lost to posterity.  I will attempt to transcribe each letter and show the provenance as best I can.   The letters begin in 1942 when the British born  'Jerseyites' were removed from the Islands at the direct order of Hitler himself and then transported and interned in various camps in Germany.    My family were interned in Wurzach, an ex catholic seminary and monastery, just south of another internment camp at Biberach.

I am starting with the earliest dated letter that I have at the moment and I will go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment